JPEG and JPG are the two most popular file formats for computer users. No matter, you are a professional computer user or home computer user, at some point you use images and graphics. Both these file formats are default formats for many camera models and applications. However, there are some situations, where you may find that your precious images are not accessible. The images are damaged and you cannot open them. In such cases, you need to opt for JPEG repair solutions to extract corrupt images.
You can easily demonstrate this problem with the following scenarios, which most frequently occurs while opening a JPG or JPEG image file:
- When you attempt to open images using Microsoft Photo Editor, you get one of the below mentioned error message:
Unknown File Format
Cannot open or find this file path\filename
- You get the similar error message when you move the file to another computer and try to open it.
- Other image files on your computer open properly.
When this problem occurs, your significant images become inaccessible and JPG repair becomes need of the hour.
This problem may appear due to any of the following reasons:
- You are using an older version of the Photo Editor that does not recognize the JPEG file format from desktop.
- The file header is corrupted and the application is unable to recognize file format of the image.
- JPEG or JPG file is severely damaged and it is totally inaccessible.
Try using the below steps to sort out this issue:
- Open the affected JPG or JPEG files in a different picture viewer, like IrfanView.
- Replace the file header with another working image, which has the same resolution.
- Restore corrupted image from an updated and valid backup.
If all the above steps fail, you need to use third-party recovery applications. The commercial utilities are specifically designed to remove corruption from image files and restore them. Such tools have simple user interface and secure recovery techniques.
Adobe Photoshop is undoubtedly the most popular designing and image editing software. It is an easy to use application lets you make highly creative and eye catching designs. The application enables you to save the designs in different file formats for different purposes. However, there are some situations, where you may find that you cannot open a JPEG file created using Adobe Photoshop. This problem can occur due to corruption and put you in need of JPEG repair solutions.
Following are the scenarios that demonstrate this problem with your JPEG files, which you may face after saving a PSD file a JPEG:
- You create a panorama using Adobe Photoshop CS5 on your Windows computer.
- You compress the panorama and save it as JPEG file on your Windows hard drive.
- You try to open the image in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, but it fails to open.
- You get the following error message while opening the file using a picture viewer:
“Photo Gallery can’t open this picture or video. This file format is not supported.”
- You face the same problem, even if you try to open the file on a different Windows computer.
This problem causes serious data loss by damaging your valuable JPG files. In such cases, you have to find out the root of the issue and fix it with JPG repair methods.
Grounds of the problem:
This issue may take place if any of the below conditions are true:
- Your Windows machine does not have enough primary memory to load the file and open it. The application that you are using to open the file is running out of the memory.
- Windows Picture and Fax Viewer application has limits for pixel-dimension and thus cannot open a high-resolution image.
- The JPEG file is corrupted and thus picture viewer application is not able to read its content. The error message comes when file is unreadable.
- Use the following methods to sort out this issue:
- Try opening the file on a machine that has high primary memory.
- Open the file in a different picture viewer, which does not have pixel-dimension limitation.
- Repair and restore using an advanced recovery application.
Such tools are capable of scanning damaged JPEG files using advanced scanning techniques and retrieving inaccessible contents from it. They offer safe, quick, and easy recovery of severely corrupted image files.
JPG and JPEG are two very popular and widely accepted image file formats. Both of these formats share the same encoding and thus they are very much similar. Majority of cameras and scanner uses JPEG as their default file type to save the files. However, sometimes, you may find that the file is not completely scanned, downloaded, or saved on the storage media while opening. Incomplete copy process of the file may make it inaccessible and cause data loss. You can fix JPEG file corruption using JPEG repair tool in such cases.
As an example of this problem with your significant files, consider the following problem that may occur while accessing the file:
- You download an image from website, scan it from a hard copy, or move it to your computer hard drive from digital camera or any storage media.
- You try to upload the file on a website or use it in some code, may be of website or some application.
- It gives you the following error message during the course of action:
<Error>: Corrupt JPEG data: premature end of data segment
- When you open the image using any picture viewer or photo editing application, it shows an incomplete image with grey filling.
When it happens, the file becomes inaccessible. In order to repair corrupt JPEG file in such situations, you have to find out the cause of the problem and fix it using appropriate solutions.
Grounds of the problem:
This issue may occur due to any of the following reasons:
- Improper editing of the file has deleted some significant types.
- The file header has corrupted and thus the image is unreadable.
- The image file is severely damaged and unreadable by the application.
Try out the below methods for resolving this problem:
- Check if JPEG data is complete by opening the file in hex editor. The first and last two bytes of file should be FF D8 and FF D9.
- Replace the file header with a working JPEG file with same statistics, like resolution, size, and type.
- Restore the image from updated and valid backup. Regular backup of the file helps you to prevent data loss.
- Use third-party recovery applications to repair and restore damaged file. Such tools are capable of extracting inaccessible data in corruption scenarios.
The commercial recovery tools do not demand high-technical skills and offer simple recovery. They protect all the properties of the file and do not edit it.
Nikon D800 is a very advanced and popular product from one of the world’s largest Camera brands- Nikon. This camera is packed with a number of outstanding features, which include its capability to save the pictures directly in JPEG format. You do not need to convert the RAW images to JPG or JPEG file formats. However, sometimes images on this camera become inaccessible and you have to go for JPEG repair solutions to extract the files.
You can consider the below mentioned scenarios, which you may encounter while accessing images from camera, to demonstrate the issue:
- You shot a number of pictures using your camera and stored them in JPEG file format.
- The files are not opening now in the ViewNX picture viewer application and sometimes not in other ones as well.
- You connected the camera to your system using the cable and the files are not accessible.
- You removed the card from camera and tried to access it using card reader, but got the same results.
- The opening process with ViewNX gives you the following error:
When it happens, it causes data loss and you have to restore the files from the most recent backup. However, in case backup is not available, you have to go for other JPG repair solutions.
The problem may occur if any of the following conditions are true:
- The transfer process of the files is actually damaging the EXIF headers of the images.
- Headers of the pictures are written incorrectly by the camera and the picture viewing applications are unable to find the headers.
- The files have different file encoding that is not supported by the ViewNX application.
- JPEG files are severely damaged and thus they are unreadable. There are storage chances of corruption to the image while transferring.
Following solutions can help you sort out the problem in most of the similar corruption scenarios:
- Use another application to the open the file and then save it in different file format. This solution works in most of the cases.
- Use Hex Editor to replace the file header with header from another image with same statistics.
- Transfer the files again to your system and try opening them.
- Restore the files from backup if an updated and valid backup is in place.
- If you are through with the above steps and problem is still intact, third-party recovery applications come for your rescue.
Such tools effectively handle all the corruption issues and restore original picture. They protect the resolution, color quality, and format of the recovered files.
Kodak is one of the most popular camera and imaging products provider. Its wide range of cameras lets you take high quality pictures of various occasions. Kodak cameras allow you to save your pictures on memory card in different file formats, including JPEG and JPG. However, under some situations, you may not read JPEG files from Kodak camera memory card due to corruption. It leads to data loss and put you in need of JPEG repair solutions.
As an example of this issue with your Kodak camera, you may encounter the below error message while seeing pictures from camera memory card:
“Memory card cannot be read (please format card or insert another card).”
After the above error message, you may not use the pictures on the camera. In such cases, you need to identify the cause of the problem and fix it using JPG repair solutions.
You may encounter this problem with your JPEG files due to any of the following reasons:
- The card is damaged and thus camera cannot read files from it.
- The card was formatted for another camera.
- Camera firmware is not updated and is not compatible.
- The JPEG files are damaged and thus they are not accessible.
Go through the below steps to work around this problem and get your significant files back:
- If the memory card is damaged and you want to keep the files on the card, then you can try transferring the files to your computer using card reader. After transferring the files, you can format the card using the camera in which you will use it.
- In case the card is formatted for another camera, then you can format it using the camera in which you will use it.
- If your digital camera does not accept any card, then it can be due to firmware issues in the camera. You might be having an outdated firmware on your camera. This problem can be fixed by updating the firmware.
- In case the problem is not resolved using any of the above methods, then you need to repair the damaged JPEG files using JPEG repair software.
Such applications are particularly designed to repair and restore corrupted JPG and JPEG files. They offer safe recovery with non-destructive conduct as of their read-only algorithms.